This week I’ve been able to connect the dots and make some sense out of several deeds that found their way into the Copper Wash Tub throughout the 19th to 20th centuries.
Dot #1 – This poster for an auction on Monday, November 11, 1870.
Going to auction are two parcels. One contains 102 acres and a “Two-Storied Stone House” located on the West Chester and Philadelphia Road. The second tract is 10 acres and 36 perches which is a located about ½ mile from the first tract and is a woodlot.
Dot # 2 – The property listed in the poster is part of the Chalkley Minster Estate. Minister died intestate. His wife Edith was still alive (as noted on the deed), but Passmore was appointed Guardian of the two minor children William and Laura.
Dot #3 – A deed dated March 18, 1871, Joseph Passmore, Guardian and Edith Minster to John Young, E. Goshen for 10 acres 36 perches of Woodland in East Goshen Township for sum of $2811.87 In the deed description this property was bounded “by the lands of Benjamin Smedley, John Young and others.”
Dot #4 – This is the same 10 acres 36 perches of woodland deeded by Lehman A. Watson and wife to Chalkley G. Minster on January 2, 1860 for the sum of $2,556.25
Dot# 5 – This same parcel, is the second tract noted in an April 15, 1913 deed from John Young and Mary J. his wife, and Catherine Young to Charles Young. From this deed’s property description it appears that this woodlot is at the corner of East Goshen, Willistown and Westtown Township.
So that explains, in a convoluted sort of way why all these deeds were in the copper wash tub but there is one more connection to another deed, hold on to your hat . . .
Chalkley Minster was the son of Jacob Minster (1792-1825) and Sidney Hoopes (1783-1857). Sidney was the daughter of Amos Hoopes (1745- 1805). Amos is one of the children of Joshua Hoopes from the 1774 Deed “Amos Hoopes et Ux to James Black.